Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Voiceless

I was reviewing some short stories I had written, thinking I may put together a collection when I realized how distinct my writing has become. Like a mixture of short and long sentences that come together in an interesting cadence. It’s my signature I think. For a while there I was beginning to think that my work seemed too heavily influenced by some of my favorite authors like Terry McMillan. I didn’t want to write like Terry, I wanted to write like me. But what does that mean really? Will I have the courage to keep my characters free and honest, using language for example, that I’d be embarrassed for my grandmother to know that I use, but that’s really how people talk.

But I am proud to say that I seemed to have developed my own distinct voice. Whether or not that’s a voice that others connect with…well that remains to be seen. I will keep you posted.

0 comments: